|Client||Mumias Sugar Co. Ltd.|
|Supervising Engineer||Booker Tate, UK|
|Project Value||US$ 29 Million|
This was a major rehabilitation work aimed at doubling the production capacity at Mumias then standing at about 5,000 TCD. H Young & Co (EA) Ltd was the single major contractor for the site works. The project was undertaken in two main phases, the first phase was the heavy civil works. The second phase involved structural steel and mechanical works.
Excavation of 26,000 m3 of earth works, 13,800m3 of concrete works including construction of large mill foundations, 165,000m2 of concrete roads and cane yard extensions including Gantry cane foundations.
Structural fabrication and mechanical installation works including:
- Supply and installation of 8,000 TCD (tonnage cane per day) Sugar Cane Diffuser. A Joint Venture with Fletcher Smith Ltd UK and Tongatt Hewlett, South Africa.
- Supply and installation of 125 Tons per Hour (TPH) Single Pass Baggasse fired Boiler under subcontract to Alstom John Thompson, RSA. (Tonnage -70 tons)
- Supply and installation of conveyors, structural steel works for gantry, de watering mill house, cane knife and shredders.
- Piping works including insulation and cladding
- Electro mechanical installation works of the equipment.
- Rehabilitation of 45 TPH boilers 5 and 6.